Defense Finance and Accounting Service PROCESS IMPROVEMENT SPECIALIST in Indianapolis, Indiana
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
Position is located in DFAS - Strategy & Support, Enterprise Management Services, Enterprise Project Solutions. There is 1 vacancy which may be located at DFAS-Columbus, OH, DFAS-Indianapolis, IN, DFAS-Cleveland, OH, DFAS-Limestone, ME, and DFAS-Rome, NY.
The General Schedule (GS) basic pay schedule may vary by geographic locality. To view pay rates in a specific location visit the Office of Personnel Management pay tables at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/
Learn more about this agency
- Assists Sponsors and Supervisors in identifying Lean6 BB and GB projects, developing project charters, and overcoming obstacles in the execution of Lean6 projects
- Collaborates in the DFAS Lean/Six Sigma community to share, transfer and implement best practices and lessons learned from DFAS projects, private industry and government.
- Works closely with senior management to ensure a consistent, standardized, repeatable strategy for implementation of Lean/Six Sigma.
- Provides project status reports as required which may include briefings to external customers as well as all levels of DFAS management.
- Utilizes Lean/Six Sigma methodology, which includes a wide range of statistical methods and tools, such as mathematical techniques, appropriate statistical concepts as well as simulation, mathematical modeling and Lean techniques.
- Provides guidance and instruction as a Project Owner or Coach while assuring team(s) use an organized, structured, and robust Lean/Six Sigma methodology with the goal of providing recommendations, implementing solutions, and providing adequate follow-up to ensure controls are maintained.
- Responsible for analysis, facilitation, reporting, and providing recommendations for process improvements, improving quality, reducing costs, and establishing appropriate process metrics and process controls.
- Advises project teams on the proper use and accuracy of Lean6 tools, including process maps, value stream maps, pareto charts, root cause analysis documents, PICK Charts, implementation plans, cost savings, etc.
- Provides education, training, and assistance for various sites Lean/Six Sigma projects within the DFAS network on quantitative and qualitative techniques, quality process improvement, cost benefit analysis, and project management. Groups include LIMs, Supervisors, and new employees.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current Permanent DFAS Agency Employees Only
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
- #### Job family (Series)
0301 Miscellaneous Administration And Program
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks must meet the time in grade requirement. To be considered for the GS-12, applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-11 or higher in the Federal service. To be considered for the GS-13, applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-12 or higher in the Federal service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Critical Sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
At the entry GS-12 grade level: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-11) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experience for the GS-12 level is defined as:experience owning or coaching Lean6 Black Belt or Green Belt projects from the define phase until project completion using Lean6 principles, methods and tools to accomplish project objectives and recommending solutions based on identified risks and added value to the organization; Working independently and with a team of individuals on developing and implementing solutions, including at least 3 of the following deliverables: project charters, process maps, pareto charts, root cause analysis diagrams (fishbone diagrams or 5 Why), PICK charts, sustainment plans, risk registers, lessons learned, and significance tests; AND Coaching others, formally or informally, on how to use statistical software and explaining the use of statistical methods.
At the GS-13 grade level:One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-12) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experience for the GS-13 level is defined as:experience leading or coaching Lean6 Black Belt projects outside of the functional area from the define phase until project completion using Lean6 principles, methods and tools to accomplish project objectives and recommending solutions based on identified risks and added value to the organization; Working independently and with a team of individuals on developing and implementing solutions, including at least 6 of the following deliverables: project charters, process maps, pareto charts, root cause analysis diagrams (fishbone diagrams or 5 Why), PICK charts, sustainment plans, risk registers, lessons learned, and significance tests; Providing regular status reports to GS-15 or SES customers through briefing or written reports; AND Advising others on statistics in formal and/or informal settings, demonstrating how to use statistical software, and explaining and/or defending why certain statistical methods were used.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at these grade levels.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will notbe paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom (1-24%).
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, if you are found to have exaggerated, embellished, inflated, mischaracterized, or falsified your resume or qualifications.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Planning and Evaluating
- Problem Solving
- Project/Program Management
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10046713
DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process, DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes: 1. Resume: You are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume, which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools. 2. Complete Assessment Questionnaire:Your resume must describe the quality of work in regards to responses to the occupational self-assessment questionnaire as they generate your numerical rating. 3. Other Supporting Documents.
The following supporting documents are ONLY required if applicable to your personal qualifications or status. They must be received by the closing date of the announcement. 1. Transcripts and/or Certifications: You must submit documentation if you are substituting education for experience. For additional information on acceptable documents or to see if you must submit documentation click here Transcripts and Certifications. You must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. 2. SF-50: With the exception of current permanent DFAS employees, current or former federal employees must submit a Notification of Personnel Action reflecting the highest grade held on a permanent basis, tenure and appointment type. 3. Veterans Documentation: Click to review these authorities and documents verifying eligibility for a VEOA, VRA and/or 30% or more disabled veterans hiring authorities. 4. Military Spouse: Click here to review this authority and the documents you are required to submit. 5. ICTAP Eligibles: A copy of the RIF separation notice and SF-50 if available. 6. Other Special Hiring Authorities: Click here to review these authorities and the documentation you are required to submit. 7. You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
WARNING:Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) 09/28/2017, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents. 2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application. 3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
DFAS - ENTERPRISE MANAGEMENT SERVICES 8899 E. 56th Street Indianapolis, IN US
Learn more about this agency
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/479484600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 09/14/2017 to 09/28/2017
Salary: $72,168 to $116,068 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 12 - 13
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent